|Stollen with dried figs|
This recipe makes a large bread so you can reduce it by half if you don't need that much. Even if you make the whole recipe, I suggest dividing the dough in half to bake since it is really quite large.
340 grams dried diced fruits such as raisins, cranberries, apricot, etc. (soaked in brandy)
85 grams diced walnuts
85 grams diced almonds
140 grams milk (room temperature)
1 gram salt
60 grams egg
55 grams lukewarm water
9 grams instant dry yeast
120 grams sugar
400 grams bread flour (sifted)
100 grams butter (room temperature)
7 - 9 large dried figs
1. Soak the dried fruit in the liquor for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Drain extra liquid. You can add a 1 - 2 tablespoons of flour to the fruit to soak up the extra liquid before using.
2. In a bowl, mix the milk and egg. In a separate bowl, combine the water and yeast and let sit for at least 10 minutes. Then add the yeast mixture to the milk and mix lightly with a small whisk.
3. Mix together the flour, salt and sugar with a whisk in a bowl. Add the milk mixture and mix together with spatula. If you have a standing mixer (Kitchen Aid) or a food processor you can use it to mix the flour and liquid.
4. Put the dough on a flat surface and start to knead. Knead until soft for about 10 - 15 minutes. Roll into a ball and cover with a bowl and let sit for 10 minutes. After resting, add in the softened butter and knead until it is fully mixed into the dough.
5. The dough should be soft and easy to knead. If it feels too stiff add a teaspoon of milk or more until the dough is soft.
6. Flatten the dough on a flat surface and add the nuts on top. Fold the dough around the nuts and use a bread scraper to mix in the dough. After the nuts start to get mixed in then add the dried fruits and continue to mix together. The dough may be sticky if the fruit was too wet.
7. Roll into a ball and place in a bowl covered with plastic wrap. Keep in a warm place (about 28 degrees Celsius) for about 1 1/2 hours for rising.
8. Sprinkle a flat surface with flour then remove the dough from the bowl and place on the surface. Flatten to remove the air and make a ball again. Cover with plastic and let sit on the board for 20 minutes.
|Place dried figs on the dough|
|Fold the dough over the figs|
And fold dough on other side too
11. Put in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
12. Bake at 190 degrees Celsius for 35 - 40 minutes. If the bread starts to become too browned before baking is finished then cover lightly with foil just on the top.
13. After removing from the oven, brush with melted butter. Once the bread has cooled a little, sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.
|The finished bread|