Icelandic Vinarterta cake


I visited Iceland in 2019 and while going through the Copenhagen airport I found a wonderful cookbook about Scandinavia and Icelandic desserts. The cookbook weighed at least 2 kilos (about 3 pounds) and luckily I was on my way home so I didn't have to carry it around too much.

Unfortunately I did not eat this cake while I was in Iceland but after seeing the recipe in the cookbook, I wanted to try it. I think this is a fun recipe to make with kids since you can't get into too much trouble. Basically, this cake is made of several layers with jam between each layer. Simplicity at its finest.

I had extra dough after lots of baking so I froze it and later used it for a pie dough and it turned out quite nicely.


Deliciously simple



Ingredients

100 grams butter (room temperature)
100 grams sugar
3/4 egg
187 grams flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of cardamom powder

1.         In a bowl, mix the butter and sugar. Add the eggs in portions and continue to mix after adding each portion. Add the flour mixture in portions and mix well.
2.         Refrigerate dough for about 1 hour before using.
3.         Roll out the disks and place on baking sheet lined with baking paper.
4.         Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 10 minutes. Do not over bake since the cake will be too crunchy.
5.         Sandwich the cake with your favorite jam. This can be done while the cakes are still warm.

Kathy
0 Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment