|I used a cookie cutter for the leaves|
I love apple desserts! Autumn is one of my favorite times of the year. Walking into the supermarket in the fall and seeing many types of apples, sweet potatoes and mushrooms makes me excited - makes me want to bake and cook.
Apple pie is not so popular in Japan. When you do find it in a bakery it is usually the standard recipe - raisins or nuts are not usually added.
My favorite apple pie recipe includes plenty of raisins, nuts & spices.
Let's get started!
|Recipe fits an 18 cm tart pan|
150 grams flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
50 grams butter
15 grams powdered sugar
pinch of salt
6 teaspoons milk
1. Put flour in a bowl and lightly whisk to add air. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the flour. Use a pastry cutter to mix in the butter. Can also use fingers to mix in the butter - should be blended well.
3. Put on a board and use the heal of your hand to mix everything to ensure it is a smooth texture. Add extra milk if the dough is not soft enough.
4. Shape into a ball and flatten. Cover with plastic and put in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or so before rolling out. Neatly roll out to fit a 18 cm tart pan.
This recipe fits an 18 cm tart pan.
50 grams diced almonds
50 grams raisins
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons almond powder
1. Peel & cut the apples. Lightly fry in a pan for about 10 minutes with about a tablespoon sugar until they just begin to soften. Drain so that extra water is removed.
2. Mix the apples with the almonds & raisins. Add in the brown sugar then sift in the flour & almond powder. Mix well with a spatula. Add cinnamon and other spices as you like.
3. Fill the pie crust and use a fork to pack down the apples. Use a pastry wheel to cut extra dough for decoration. Brush with egg on the top before baking. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 25 - 30 minutes. Be careful that the top of the pie does not become too browned.
|Use a pastry wheel to cut dough for decorating on the top|
if you want a traditional look as below
|Brush with egg before baking|
|The finished pie!|