|Chestnut mousse cake decorated with glazed chestnuts|
My collection of chestnut recipes is growing -- which gives me a great idea for a cook book :) Anyway, this is a new recipe I found this year and couldn't wait to try it.
This cake has 3 items to make but if you want to skip the chocolate ganache you could.
A layer of cake is on the bottom, followed by mousse, another layer of cake & chocolate ganache topped with mousse. Recipe is enough for a 18 cm x 5 cm ring.
60 grams milk chocolate (chopped)
45 grams cream (36%)
1 teaspoon dark rum
1. Heat the cream until just boiling. Add to the chocolate in portions. Mix with a small whisk to melt the hot cream & chocolate. Add remaining cream.
2. If the chocolate does not melt completely, put over a pan of hot water. Add the rum.
3. Pour the chocolate into a ring which is placed on plastic wrap or baking paper. Put in the refrigerator to become firm.
|Pan should not be too deep|
this pan is 28 cm x 28 cm
80 grams powdered sugar
100 grams almond powder
30 grams flour
20 grams melted butter
130 grams egg white
60 grams sugar
1. Mix the 3 eggs in a bowl. Sift the powdered sugar, almond powder & flour together. Add to the eggs and mix well with a whisk.
2. Whip the egg whites and then add the sugar in portions until soft peaks form. Add to #1 above. Add the melted butter and mix gently with a spatula.
3. Pour into a baking pan and bake about 15 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
300 grams milk
45 grams sugar
90 grams egg yolks
12 grams gelatin
200 grams fresh cream (36%)
10 grams dark rum
180 grams marron paste
20 grams marron cream
1. Make anglais - mix the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and heat the milk in a pan. Pour the heated milk into the eggs & mix, pour back into the pan and heat until lightly thickened (do not overheat or you will have scrambled eggs). Add the gelatin.
2. Strain into a bowl and cool. Add the marron paste, cream & rum. Put through a sieve to take out any lumps.
3. Whip the cream until soft peaks form.
4. Add the whipped cream to the marron mixture. Use a spatula to lightly mix together. Put the bowl over ice water until the mixture becomes slightly firm.
Put the Cake Together1. Cut the cake so that it fits inside the 18 cm ring (put mousse film inside the ring). Fill about 1/3 with the mousse. Add another layer of cake (cut smaller) and the chocolate ganache. Add some pieces of marron around the inside. Fill the rest with the mousse. Put in the refrigerator until it becomes firm - at least an hour or two.
|Place a piece of cake on the bottom|
and put the ring on cake
|Cake is ready for the refrigerator|
to become firm