|Butter rolls filled with sweet potato jam|
I decide to take a traditional butter roll recipe and instead of making cinnamon rolls I replaced the filling with the dark purple sweet potato jam. They look beautiful.
200 grams bread flour
25 grams sugar
3 grams salt
30 grams unsalted butter
3 grams instant dry yeast
25 grams egg
120 grams water
1. In a bowl, sift together the flour, yeast, sugar & salt. Add the water & egg and use a dough scraper to mix together.
2. Put the dough on a flat surface to knead for about 10 minutes until the dough is smooth but not sticky. Roll into a ball and cover with a bowl for 10 minutes.
3. Remove the bowl and then add the butter to the dough. Use the dough scraper to cut the butter into the dough. Knead the dough until the butter is well mixed. Dough should be soft but not sticky.
4. If the dough feels stiff, add a little water and knead more.
5. Shape into a ball and put in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for about 60 minutes.
|Rolls after they have finished rising|
Brush again with egg before baking
6. Remove the dough from the bowl and spread on a flat surface. Lightly flatten the dough to remove air bubbles. Use a rolling pin to roll out to a 25 cm (length) x 20 cm (width) size. Choose your favorite filling to spread on top of the dough - cinnamon sugar, lemon curd, etc. After spreading the filling on the dough, roll up the dough.
7. Slice the dough into pieces of similar size. Put into baking tins or just place on a baking sheet (leave space between them when they rise). Lightly brush with egg and then put in a warm place for 40 minutes to rise.
8. Bake at 210 degrees Celsius for 20 - 25 minutes.