|Chestnut cake topped with candied orange peel|
and marinated chestnuts
I am still on winter food recipes, however, strawberries start coming into season about February in Japan since most of them are grown in hot houses. Once I see strawberries, then spring can't be far off.
I baked this recipe in two types of pans. In the picture on the right, I used a long thin pound cake type pan.
|Same recipe using heart shaped silicone pans|
40 grams chestnut paste
160 grams chestnut puree
60 grams white chocolate
80 grams unsalted butter (cut into small pieces)
3 egg yolks
80 grams flour
2 grams baking powder
1. Sift the flour and baking powder together in a bowl.
2. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water. After melting, add the butter pieces in portions to melt. Use a spatula to mix. Be sure all pieces are melted before adding new ones.
3. In a bowl, mix the eggs & egg yolks and mix with a whisk.
4. Mix the chestnut paste & puree and add to the egg mixture and mix with whisk. Sift this into another bowl to remove any lumps.
5. Add the white chocolate to the egg mixture. Add in portions and mix with a whisk. Add in the flour.
6. Put in a baking pan and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 25 - 30 minutes depending the size of your pan. If you are using a metal pan, be sure to lightly coat the pan first with butter & flour before baking.