|Chocolate cake with pumpkin cream filling|
This roll cake is filled with pumpkin cream and a few pumpkin seeds. I added cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg to the pumpkin puree so it has a tasty pumpkin pie taste to it.
This recipe is fairly quick to put together but if another person is available to help it will go even that much quicker.
This decoration will be piped on top of parchment paper and then the cake itself will be poured over the decoration before baking. For decorations, either draw on your own or use cookie cutters to make shapes and trace.
|Decorations are ready|
10 grams soft butter
10 grams powdered sugar sifted
10 grams egg white
10 grams flour sifted
1. Whisk the butter and add the powdered sugar. Add the egg white then add the flour. Divide into different bowls then add coloring.
2. Draw your design on a sheet of paper and place under the parchment paper.
3. Put each color into a separate bag for piping. Your lines should be thin but not too thin, otherwise, they will not show up well after baking.
4. Put this in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes so that the figures becomes firm.
I use a shallow square baking pan (27 cm x 27 cm - height is 2 cm) covered with parchment paper to pipe the decoration on. The recipe below is enough for 2 pans.
6 egg yolks
70 grams sugar
100 grams water
6 egg whites
120 grams sugar
100 grams cornstarch
75 grams salad oil (any light oil without a strong taste)
35 grams cocoa powder
1. In a bowl mix the oil and cocoa powder.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks and 70 grams sugar and water. Whip together with a large whisk until the mixture if light yellow and fluffy. This may take 10 minutes or so to get the correct consistency. Don't cheat on this step since the cake will not be light in texture.
3. In another bowl, mix the egg whites and 120 grams sugar. Mix in the sugar in portions and mix until the meringue forms soft peaks.
5. Pour over top of the decoration and bake at 200 degrees Celsius. Do NOT tap the pan on the table to remove air. The cake will not rise well and become fluffy if you do this.
200 grams milk
200 grams milk
4 egg yolks
60 grams sugar
20 grams flour
10 grams cornstarch
20 grams butter
120 grams pumpkin puree
12 grams softened gelatin
130 grams fresh cream (36%)
1. Mix the egg yolks, sugar, flour and cornstarch in a bowl with a small whisk.
2. Heat the milk until just boiling. Pour the warm milk into the egg mixture then add back to the sauce pan and heat on a low heat until it thickens. Use a small whisk to mix while heating. When it becomes thickened like pudding, turn off the heat and add the pumpkin puree and mix with a whisk. Continue to mix and add the gelatin then add the butter.
3. Pour int a bowl and let it cool. Whip the fresh cream until it is just starts to become firm.
4. After the pumpkin cream starts to become cool, add the fresh whipped cream.
1. Remove the cake from the cooking pan and slowly remove the parchment paper. Use a clean sheet of parchment paper and put the cake on it.
2. Spread the cream on the sponge cake evenly with a palette knife. Sprinkle some pumpkins seeds on top as you like.
3. Start from one end & roll the cake carefully to keep a good shape. Put in plastic wrap and refrigerator for about 1 hour before serving.