This cake is a different twist to the traditional pound cake recipe. Be careful not to add too many bananas otherwise it will just taste like banana bread.
50 grams sugar
1. Heat the sugar in a saucepan until it turns to a caramel color then pour on top of a baking sheet and cool. When cooled put into food processer and chop to fine pieces.
Meringue55 grams almond powder
10 grams powdered sugar
70 grams egg white
45 grams sugar
1. Whip the egg whites and add the sugar in portions. Whip until the peaks are standing.
Compote1/2 banana (very ripe & mashed)
25 grams passion fruit puree
25 grams mango puree
10 grams sugar
5 grams rum
1. In a saucepan, heat the purees together with the banana and sugar and mix well and cook on medium heat for about 6 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the rum.
Cake90 grams butter (room temperature)
60 grams almond powder
40 grams coconut (fine)
100 grams powdered sugar
110 grams eggs
40 grams flour
1. Sift together the almond powder, coconut and powdered sugar and flour2. Mix the softened butter and then add the dry ingredients from above in portions. Use a spatula to mix together then add the eggs in portions and mix with whisk.
3. Lastly add the compote from the previous step.
Putting the cake together
1. Line the inside of pound cake pan with baking paper then lightly butter the paper and then dust with almond powder (I used an oval type pan for this recipe). Put the meringue inside the baking pan and use a palette knife to spread it evenly on the insides of the pan. The meringue should only be about 3/4 cm thick on the inside.
2. Then fill the baking pan with the cake. Bake at 170 degrees Celsius for about 50 minutes.
Cool until before removing from the pan. The cake can be removed much easier with the baking paper.