|Serve with beef, chicken or fish!|
This bread has one unique step which is to make the starter. This starter is made on the stove top and only takes a few extra minutes.
43 grams water
43 grams whole milk
14 grams bread flour
1. For the starter, combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan, and whisk until no lumps remain. Place the saucepan over low heat, and cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until thick and the whisk leaves lines on the bottom of the pan, about 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Transfer the starter to a small mixing bowl and let it cool to room temperature.
298 grams bread flour
7 grams nonfat dry milk
30 grams sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
113 grams milk (room temperature)
1 large egg
57 grams butter (softened
1. To make the dough, combine the starter with the remaining dough ingredients (don't add the butter yet), then mix and by hand until a smooth dough forms. Place on a flat board and knead until soft and let sit for 10 minutes covered with plastic. Lastly, add knead in the butter.
2. Shape the dough into a ball, and let it rest in a lightly greased covered bowl for 60 minutes.
3. Gently deflate the dough, divide it into 40 gram pieces, and shape each piece into a ball.
4. Place the rolls into a lightly greased round bun pan and brush lightly with an egg wash. Cover the pan, and let the rolls rest for 40 to 50 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes, until golden brown on top.
|Leave a small space between rolls to bake|
6. Remove the rolls from the oven. Allow them to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.