This cake has several steps to it which may put you off but grab a friend or a family member to split the work with and it will finish quickly.
Inside the cake is mango mousse and raspberry gelatin filling so in total 3 items to make.
This recipe is enough for an 18 cm (round) x 16 cm (high) ring which generously serves 8 people.
First step is to make the raspberry gelatin filling. I used a 15 cm (round) x 5 cm (high) ring for this.
140 grams raspberry puree
40 grams egg yolk
50 grams eggs
40 grams sugar
50 grams butter
3 grams gelatin
1. Heat the puree in a sauce pan to lightly boiling.
2. In a bowl, mix the egg yolks, eggs & sugar and mix. Add in the puree and mix then add back to the saucepan. Heat on low heat until just lightly thickened.
3. Take off the heat and add the gelatin and mix. Lastly, add the butter and mix.
4. Cool over ice water. Then pour into the smaller ring which has plastic wrap sealed at the bottom. Place in the refrigerator until it is firm.
Next step is to make the cake & striped decoration. The decoration is made first and brushed onto the baking sheet and then use a decorating tool to make the design.
20 grams butter (room temperature)
20 grams powdered sugar
20 grams egg white
18 grams flour
Red Food Color
1. Whisk the butter and the powdered sugar thoroughly with a small whisk then add the egg white & mix . Lastly, add the flour. Add a small amount of coloring as you like.
2. Spread the decoration on a baking sheet using an offset palette knife and use a decorating tool to make the decoration,3. Put this in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes so that the mixture becomes firm.
|The tool I used to make the design|
I used the side with the square teeth
|Comb the baking sheet at an angle. |
Put on a baking pan & put in the refrigerator
Joconde Cake80 grams powdered sugar
100 grams almond flour
30 grams flour
130 grams egg white
60 grams sugar
20 grams butter
1. In a bowl, sift together the powdered sugar, almond flour and flour.
2. In another bowl, mix the eggs lightly then add the dry ingredients (#1) and whip with a hand mixer until yellow & fluffy.
3. Melt the butter in a bowl over simmering hot water.
4. Whip the egg whites with a hand mixer and add the sugar in portions.
5. Add the meringue to the egg mixture in portions and mix with a spatula. Add in the butter.
6. Spread on top of the decoration. Bake at 200 degrees Celsius for about 10 minutes.
Last step is to make the mango mousse.
185 grams mango puree
300 grams milk
4 egg yolks
50 grams sugar
30 grams flour
15 grams gelatin (softened in water)
200 grams fresh cream
1. In a bowl, mix the egg yolks, sugar and flour with small whisk.
2. In a saucepan, heat the mango puree until just lightly boiling. In another saucepan, heat the milk until lightly boiling. Add the milk to the bowl with the egg yolks and mix and then return to the saucepan and mix. Next add the mango puree and mix with small whisk on a low heat until lightly thickened. Turn off the heat and add the gelatin and mix thoroughly. Pour into a bowl and cool.
3. Whip the fresh cream until just soft peaks are formed.
4. Add the cream to the mango mousse in portions and gently mix with a spatula.
Lastly, time to put everything together.
1. Put the large cake ring on a cake plate. Put mousse film inside the ring. Cut cake to fit around the sides of the ring. Leave a small amount of space at the top of the ring. Cut a piece of the cake for the bottom of the ring.
|Cut cake to fit inside the ring|
2. Pour the mousse on top of the cake to about 1/4 full and then add the raspberry gel on top of the mousse. Then fill with the remaining mousse up to the top.
|Add the raspberry gelatin on top of the |
3. Put in the refrigerator to become firm before removing the ring. Decorate as you like.
|Raspberry gelatin tastes great paired with the mango mousse|